What is Laser Protection Supervisor training?
Under the Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations 1999, employers conducting work with potentially hazardous sources of artificial optical radiation have a duty to provide appropriate training for their employees. These regulations also require employers to appoint one or more suitably qualified persons to oversee safety matters regarding those sources. This role is often termed as the Laser Protection Supervisor (LPS), and they oversee compliance with the laser safety measures set out in the employer’s Local Rules.
The purpose of our training course is to ensure that the attendee has a sound understanding of
- the nature of optical radiation and its effects on the human body,
- the legislation governing its use,
- the basic principles of laser safety control measures
The training is suitable for new and existing LPSs and the attendee will benefit from discussions about the evaluation of laser radiation risks and the effectiveness of the existing controls in your workplace. The attendee is also updated with practical solutions for conducting laser safety reviews, and briefed on the expectations of inspectors in relation to laser safety and compliance with the associated regulations.
How is training delivered?
The course is delivered in two parts:
– Part 1: The attendee has access to pre-recorded material concerning the theory and underpinning knowledge to support the Laser Protection Supervisor role. The view the learning material at their own pace; around their own schedule. Following the successful completion of an online assessment, the delegate is invited to the meeting for Part 2.
– Part 2: The attendee is invited to an online teaching session that covers regulatory requirements and best practices with practical applications, in small groups. The group session usually runs over a half-day and takes place online via Microsoft Teams.
The total study time for this course is approximately 7.5 hours.
What to do now
Please email our admin team (nuth.NewcastleLPScourse@nhs.net) to book your place on the course, or to ask any questions about the course. The admin team will respond to bookings with an access code for the online assessment and reserve a place for you on the online Part 2 teaching session.
Once you have received your booking confirmation and assessment access code, please view the self-paced Part 1 teaching videos below, and then complete the online assessment.
Part 1: Self-Paced Teaching Material
Please view these videos in following order.
Module 1: Course Introduction.
Module 2: Physics and Laser Basics.
Module 3: Health Effects and Non-beam hazards.
Module 4: Legislation, Standards and Guidance.
Module 5: Introduction to Practical Control Measures.
Module 6: The Role of the Laser Protection Supervisor.
Part 1: Assessment
Please complete the online assessment using the link below. You will need the access code provided in your course booking confirmation. You will be sent results of the assessment via email.
Once you have successfully passed the assessment, you will receive an invite to the Part 2 session.
LPS Training Material © 2022 by The Northern Medical Physics and Clinical Engineering Department is licensed under Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International